Thursday, August 23, 2012

LAST MEETING





The streets were pitch dark. The sprawling ocean of darkness seemed so much like my present life.The foam on the waves seemed to dance under the night to the tunes of cricket and other insects.The sea was hitting the shores so hard that for a moment it shook up my heart and made me very part of the scene.From the left walked in Mr.Joseph Mathew, my husband whom I've neglected for past five years. I recognised him from the long distance by manner of his gait. He came up to me and stood still.I didnt have courage to look at him so i kept observing the ocean andthe waves as if I haven't noticed him. I gathered myself and turned my face towards him.He was as charming as he was.
He smiled and waited for a smile to appear on my face.I had tears almost touching rim of my eyes, still I managed a smile. He took few steps towards me and sat by my side.

We both were in complete silence when Joseph breaked the ice "Why Sara,why do you want divorce..??"For a moment it seemed a simple Question butI had no answer to it.I kept quite.He holded my hand and with a heavy voice he spoke "I promise to chip off the barrier of time between us."
I knew he didn't wanted to let me go but I had my reasons and that to strong enough to get the Divorce.I handed over the divorce papers to Josephand could only say "sign these papers Joseph." With these words his hope of taking me back almost vanished,and he took the pers with the shaky hands.
For the first time ,I looked into those eyes where I could see numerous Questions and intense fear of loosing me.I was broken down.
I kissed his forehead and said "Joseph I know I could never repay the care,affection and love you gave me,but I want to let you know one thing "I loveyou and will do so forever.
He holded me in his arms like an true angel of love,"then why do you want me to sign these papers Sara.In his arms,I felt so secured.For a moment all myfear,all my pain vanished and could only force these words out of my mouth "hold me for few moments Joseph." He holded me more tightly and responded "I want to hold you this way forever,just don't go." Hearing these words,smile appeared on my face.I knew this forever could not last for few days even.Something striked Joseph and he recited few lines.I think it was the pain he was going through,made him the poet for few seconds..
"I'm willing to loose each bit of mine,
If you promise to be my side..
I don't want ant tresure or pleasure,
If you promise to be with me..
Because my World is you and only you,
Don't leave me ever
Else,i'll be all gone
Without you I'm none,I'm all alone"

These lines were straight from his heart.Tears followed each other.I forced myself out of his embrace.I was crying hard,when he kissed my cheeks and madethem dry.I forced these words out of my mouth which i never wanted to "Sign these papers JOseph and this is our Last Meeting,after this I'll be free fromyour side and you..."Before I could finish off,he pressed my mouth with his hands "No Sara,I won't be free because I don't want to be.I know I'll be completely lost in yourmemories".He took the divorce papers.He looked at my face,which was eagerly waiting for his sign.He signed them.Just as an Eagle waits for his prey and attack at the right time,same ways i almost snatched the signed papers.he was having all his eyes on me.I knew he was waiting for my smile andI didn't make him wait for it too long.I smiled.Joseph smiled back and said "these papers mean nothing to me.You are my wife Mrs.Sara Mathew and would alwaysbe.Signing these papers would not change your position in my life.I love you and will wait for you forever..."
This forever word meant nothing to me.I knew it was the LAST STAGE.Yes the bitter truth was i was in the last stage of AIDS.
Joseph and me married 5 years back.Everything was simply perfectwhen I was almost Crashed by the bus.I was immediately taken to a small countyside hospital.At that time Joseph was out of the town.He was a Managerof a Multinational Company and the busy schedules were part of our life.Due to heavy blood loss I was injectedthe blood.It was an nfectious one.Soon after I recovered i went for all the tests and my HIV test was a positive one.I took the reports and left the house.Joseph knew nothing about the reports.He didn't have the slightest idea regarding this.And today it has been two years we are separated withoutdivorce.Since then I've been working as a waitress in a countyside hotel.Joseph made enumerous efforts to take me back or help me financially.Each time i turned my back to his offer.And today when I called him up to sign the divorce papers,he wished to meet me for one last time.
They say nothing comes for free.I agreed thinking may be I could give him some happiness and could repay the little share of his uncomparable care and lovehe has given all my life.
And this was our LAST MEETING.

Suddenly I couldn't breathe properly.Here I was the last leap towards death.I got up to go and holded the most valuable thing for the time being.."The Divorce Papers"
Before going I handed a Envelope to Joseph."This is answer to all you questions but promise me you'll open it when I'll be gone." He nodded.I started walking.Each step I took away from Joseph,seemed as if it was an step closer to death.I wanted to turn back just to have last Glimpse of Joseph.I turned back.Joseph washolding envelope in one hand and reports in other.They were my MEDICAL REPORTS.He went through the reports and looked up at me....
Words couldn't find their way out..
Tears couldn't come out of his eyes..
He stood speechless but his eyes were speaking "why Sara why..??" Distance between Joseph and me was just few steps.But neither he could walk up to me nor Icould go back to him.He cried like a child,yelled out loud and almost fell down.I ran back to hold him.I could see my death in his eyes.This was the reasonI hided it from him.I knew he couldn't effort to loose me.I holded him "No Josephi want your memories to take me beyond Grave,don't make them weak".
He shook his head and said "You loved me so much Sara and never expressed it and i thought you to be a heartless woman."ÿou are true angel of love."
He took the divorse paper and torn them away and said "I just wanted to see you happy.I gave you everything even divorse to make you happy but now mylove woudn't permit me to do so.."
Then he searched for something in his pocket and came out with my engagement ring which I had given him back years ago.He bend down and said "marry me Mrs Joseph Mathew.." This time I couldn't say no.I accepted his proposal and tears of happines started rolling down.
I couldn't breath anymore.Here I was..got the final call from God.Our love ws the only impediment for my soul to flew away.I fell down in Joseph's arms.
God had made that meeting a LAST MEETING in true senses.I was happy that atleast i'll die with him around me.

I recited few lines..
Don't mourn,when i'm gone..
I'll be always around you,within you..
I can't afford to see tears in your eyes..

- MALVIKA, M.tech, 1st year

No comments:

Post a Comment