Wednesday, August 08, 2012

A DROPLET LOST IN OCEAN





A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.

                                                                               ~ Margaret Atwood.


Children must be considered in a divorce considered valuable pawns in the nasty legal and financial contest that is about to ensue.

                                                                                
 ~P.J.O’Rourke.








   The pearls of water ran down the lonely corner of my bedroom window...it seemed as if the heaven was a witness and was feeling every ounce of my pain and anxiety...The sky is crying with me, sitting at the corner of the room with dead toys and estranged fantasies when suddenly the door cracked open with a loud shriek and a sturdy black figure stepped inside... it was the end of the life I've known by now... everything was about to change after i leave this room…the room where I've spent 16 years of my life, my house that no longer was mine, every material that had no meaning by now was getting alive and were equally remorseful and were begging me not to leave.

The man demanded me to pack my bags. He was an official sent by High Court to take me to my mother who was living in Shimla now, so far away from here. She decided to live in Shimla, that was more of similar to Nainital so that I would feel comfortable and easy to settle down. But this place- the same one where every morning i woke up listening the musical alarm of monal, the exquisite food lavishly prepared by Kalpana aunty, the dining table where me, ma and papa had food together spiced with love and affection...my school, my friends... I was leaving everything behind of me ...the flowers in my garden were blooming less today. The clear blue sky, the view of Naini lake from my terrace, the flowers in steps of my garden, the houses of my neighbours ,their smiles; the flamboyance around my home, my life was missing...merely the thought of leaving this place shivered my nerves and me to the bowels of my heart...More of not the place but leaving my father behind made me paranoid...i was so heavy at heart...today I realised that how it feels to be parched ,estranged from your life...

My life had been this way for past few months now...the day i was in melee of my dream world lying in my cosy bed lingering on my soft pillow underneath my heavy blanket in a cold December night while it was snowy outside...i was dreaming of ma's special rajma chawal and kheer...her extravagance made the food all the more special ... i woke up with the disturbing sounds reaching my ears from outside of my bedroom...a horizon of light was peeping inside of my room from the bottom opening as if calling me to watch out, it was the sound of my mom and dad....the light of living room was opened and a heavy discussion was going on and I could barely understand what they were talking about but the voices grew louder and louder and never ended... I slowly stepped down my bed and tiptoed myself to the door, as I reached there the voice grew louder and louder. I silently turned down handle of the door making minimum sound possible and peeped my eyes out of the small opening ...and what i saw shifted the earth beneath me earthquaking my life forever...the two figures ,my role models, the impeccable part of my life, were shouting, screaming and fighting with each other disrespectfully ...
'You have ruined my life and drained every happiness i had'...
'Neither you have been a good wife....
'you don’t respect me and my needs all you care about is yourself'...
i couldn’t listen anymore, a tide of tears ran down from the corner of my eyes to the corner of my mouth and jumped to the wooden floor...what i thought was a heated argument was not really one, it was a fight...the voices were loud but i cannot listen to it anymore...I had to shut the panels of my ears tightly through my hands...but i could see still see the hatred in their eyes for each other...

i wanted to step outside the room and stop them, hug them both, stop what all was happening there and bring an end to this horrible nightmare, but i was numb, so numb to move or react. Then I heard a loud thunder that broke the commotion of my thoughts and brought me back to my room... I saw my mom on the floor descending to herself, one hand on her right cheek, tears rolling down her eyes, in no moment I knew what has happened. I shrieked loud ,busted the room door open and ran down to her...I held her shivering body, she turned her face away from me. The room shut silent, my demanding eyes were questioning them pleading for answers. But they buried their eyes on the floor, none of them looked at me. I wanted to scream and ask them what all it was? What happened? Why did it happen? Why my beautiful, happy world was diminished? Silence echoed the room, finally i gathered all my strength and said 'Ma, are you...'
but before i could complete my sentence, she stood up and dried her reckless tears...with a wrecked heart she took her overcoat from robe stand ,while covering her cold body with it she walked towards the front door...and without spilling a single word from her dried throat she opened the door and started walking.

I shouted 'Where are you going , ma ?'  'come back in' 'its cold out there' 'come in' 'don’t go'
I started running behind her, when my papa caught my hand and pushed me back. He coldly said 'let her go, if she wants to'
I was struggling to break free. I was shouting and calling her, but she kept walking. I wanted to reach her and hold her hand, make her come back inside. I could feel the cool breeze gushing inside the open door making my warm body shiver. She was outside feeling the same, the warmth inside and the cold outside made me a part of two world. It was no longer our world. I couldn’t see her anymore, I prayed my father to get her back, to call her back. But he asked me to go to my room. I froze, couldn’t believe what my ears heard just then. He freed me and shut the door close...he left for his room and ordered me to go to bed. I couldn’t move, I sat on the floor… Cold...Alone.

My parents don’t live together anymore. Today i have to leave to go to my mother with this official. But as i leave today, I leave myself as a whole... Alone and empty.

 This is a story of many children when their parents are separated... What can we do for them??


                                                         ~ Vaishali Joshi

No comments:

Post a Comment