Wednesday, March 27, 2013

LIVE STRONG, DIE HARD




“The greater they are, the harder they fall”. A saying often used in daily life and a saying that best sums up the entire Armstrong saga.
Lance Armstrong (born Lance Edward Gunderson; September 18, 1971) was an American icon, a legend. A role model of the old “Never say Die” American spirit. As a cancer patient of I personally know the pain, the trauma, the hardship he must have been through. He was a role model for us cancer patients. He proved that there could be a life for us.  It was no simple reason I chose to go to Live Strong Foundation, his cancer support organization.
When Lance Armstrong celebrated his record-breaking seventh Tour de France title in
2005, he made the following prescient speech: "I'll say to the people who don't believe, the cynics and the skeptics: I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles."
I was basking in the glory of this legend as any fan would. People believed that after he was diagnosed with cancer, it was the end of his career. But boy did they underestimate him.
Of his 7 Tour de France victories only two were won before he was diagnosed with cancer. The rest were won after his comeback. A testatement to the will power and mental strength of the man.
For much of his career, Armstrong faced persistent allegations of doping. Armstrong denied all such allegations until January 2013, often claiming that he never had any positive test in the approximately 600 drug tests he has taken over his cycling career. As a fan I was oblivious to all this nonsense. It is a basic fact about humans: We tend to find solace by thinking or idolizing something or someone in order to feel good about ourselves and to ignore our deficiencies. I idolized Lance Armstrong.
Until 14th January, 2013. On this day Armstrong publically admitted to have used performance enhancing drugs on a talk show.  Suddenly my whole world crumbled down. I did not know who to believe in anymore. And I knew that these wre not only my sentiments. There were others out there who could understand how I felt.

I still hoped that all this was a joke. His lawyers had declared Usada's report a witch-hunt, a persecution of their client "based largely on axe-grinders, serial perjurers, coerced testimony, sweetheart deals and threat-induced stories". The 1,000 pages of forensic evidence would suggest otherwise. Armstrong acolytes such as myself might scoff at the testimony of self-confessed dopers Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis, even if others would not. But the wording of the USADA report shook my belief.
"The USPS Team doping conspiracy," stated chief executive Travis Tygart, "was professionally designed to groom and pressure athletes to use dangerous drugs, to evade detection, to ensure its secrecy and ultimately gain an unfair competitive advantage through superior doping practices."
Armstrong, it was made clear, was not a helpless pawn forced by others to cheat to keep up. He was an instigator, a ring-leader and a pioneer.

My belief in humanity has been shattered. We live in a world of lies, greed and cruelty. And I’m sure there will be may such cases in the future.  The following quote by a certain journalist comes to mind when I think about Lance Armstrong

“Armstrong, a modern-day American icon way beyond the narrow confines of his tainted sport, is accused of not just fixing a race, or a match, or even a season. He has fixed an era. He has doped a nation.”



RAVI KIRAN,
HR,
IBC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment